Obligatory review of '09:
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Started university, dropped out of university, found a permanent abode, wrote lots of letters, watched Buffy, fell in love.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I can't remember making a single one. I think it was just to 'be happy' and I think I did well achieving that. I'm much happier now than this time last year. My makeshift resolutions for next year are: Be active, be creative, be happy - and I'd like to successfully complete my first year of university.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, I now have a very small, very cute niece called Rose.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No thank you.
5. What states/countries did you visit?
Made an impromptu drive up to Queensland to visit my lovely friend Sophie, flew to Tasmania earlier this month and stayed for two weeks, then had a stop over in Melbourne between flights, so that counts right?
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm not sure, I always forget dates. My birthday was memorable.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Having a great, comfortable, happy year. Meeting someone who makes me happy, when I wasn't looking for it.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I dropped out of university after one semester (I'm going back in March 2010) but I didn't feel like it was a failure, I felt like it was a necessary step.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Eep, yes. Can you say forty minute operation involving my tail bone and a doctor's scalpel without any pain medicine? I can, in screams!
11. What was the best thing someone bought you?
I bought myself a Macbook, best self-present.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
A whole bunch of people, C especially.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Somebody comes to mind, but it's been mostly resolved.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills and stamps!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My birthday, travelling.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
According to Last.fm my top songs of the year were:
1 Why? – Rubber Traits
2 Why? – The Hollows
3 Why? – Simeon's Dilemma
4 Jeff Buckley – Forget Her
5 Jeff Buckley – The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
6 Josh Pyke – The Doldrums
7 Bon Iver – Blood Bank
8 The Avett Brothers – The Ballad Of Love And Hate
9 Yeasayer – Tightrope
10 Feist and Ben Gibbard – Train Song
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? The former.
b) fatter or skinner? The former :(
c) richer or poorer? About the same, still poor.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Letter writing (even though I did a lot) and making music.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Probably sleeping, I do a lot of that, but I did enjoy it.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Very quietly. I slept most of the day, called some relatives, ate some food, a friend came over and then it was over!
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
22. How many one night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Dexter, United States of Tara, Dollhouse, Six Feet Under, Buffy.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope. I actually have less “hate” than this time last year.
25. What was the best book you read?
Gosh, I can't even remember anything I finished this year, it went by so quickly. Wait, I finished the Twilight books... how embarrassing. I read Long Hard Road Out Of Hell by Marilyn Manson and I enjoyed it.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Refer to earlier post.
27. What did you want and get?
A lovely boy.
28. What did you want and not get?
Employment! More funds!
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I saw a lot of good movies at Film Society, most notably The Orphanage. But I also loved 500 Days of Summer.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Nineteen @ The Cambridge Hotel with friends. Having a room of 200 people, many of whom you don't know, sing you a happy birthday while you're being dragged on stage is quite an experience. I think I'll celebrate my twentieth quietly.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Slightly more funds.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
33. What kept you sane?
A lovely boy, great food, music.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I have a big ol' crush on Zooey Deschanel.
35. Who do you miss?
I'm not sure, I'd like to see a handful of people more often, and visit my family more often in 2010.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. What was the best thing you ate?
A delicious meal every night since we got together made with love by C. I can't cook, so finding someone who likes to cook for me was wonderful!
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
Be honest with yourself, take time off to think, don't compromise your own happiness for others.
39. Where did you spend most of your time in 2009?
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Highly cheesy, but...
"Honey, lovin' you is the greatest thing,
I get to be myself and I get to sing,
I get to play at being irresponsible,
I come home late and love your soul,
I never forget you in my prayers,
I never have a bad thing to report."
- Funny Little Frog by Belle & Sebastian.